1. 20 liters of gasoline
2. A cylinder of gas for cooking
3. Kerosene for the heaters
4. Those expensive blast-proof windows
5. Landmine detectors
6. Running water
7. Thuraya satellite phones (the mobile phone services are really, really bad of late)
8. Portable diesel generators (for the whole family to enjoy!)
9. Coleman rechargeable flashlight with extra batteries (you can never go wrong with a fancy flashlight)
10. Scented candles (it shows you care- but you're also practical)
In her words:
"I won't list 'peace', 'security' and 'freedom' - Christmas miracles are exclusive to Charles Dickens."
Also, according to one person I know over there, the mobile phone problems are largely intentional...
"After a mortar attack or car bomb or any other security related exercise, the US military shuts down the Iraqna mobile phone network to prevent insurgent coordination and mobile-phone-triggered bombs."
Sounds highly plausible. I hear they're using wireless door bells for detonators now.