Eisner has been getting a lot of bad press lately -- and for good reason.
- He recently blew it by failing to secure a deal for future Disney movies with Pixar, who may soon be distributed by Warner Brothers or Fox.
- He axed Disney's traditional animation department, letting go of some of the company's most creative people.
- He missed an opportunity to distribute the Lords of the Rings trilogy. I guess Disney didn't need those hundreds of millions of dollars, much less any LOTR-themed park activities, right?!
- He has let Disney's legal department run amok, stifling fair use, threatening ordinary people with extraordinary lawsuits, and pissing off tens of thousands of people in the process.
- He bought ABC -- formerly the leading television network in the country -- and turned it into the least successful of the big three.
- He made Disney's California Adventure, but forgot the Disney magic.
- He created go.com on a lark -- a company that had nothing whatsoever to do with what Disney is good at -- and lost the company over a billion dollars in the process.
There's a petition to remove Eisner as CEO on their website, as well as numerous other things you can do to help boot Eisner and ideally encourage a Disney that will concentrate on doing what it does better than anyone else, rather than trying to be that which it is not.
Although they don't deserve any special breaks, Disney is an American institution. Hopefully they can once more do the right thing and make us love them again. Failing that, I hope that Warner and Pixar sign a deal and have Disney for lunch...