Insomnia (insomnia) wrote,
Insomnia
insomnia

Hey! This is liberation!

Family law in Iraq is no longer going to be secular -- it will, instead, be according to Islamic law, which represses women. Riverbend will learn what this means firsthand, as she and her brilliant mind will have to live trapped in the body of a second-class citizen.

So, as a recap, Iraq was led by Saddam Hussein, a guy who coddled 35% of Iraqi civilians while repressing the other 65%. He got pretty violent at times and he didn't play by U.S. rules, so he was taken out and is in the process of being replaced by a government that will coddle 65% of the population, and repress the other 35%.

Of course, under Shari'a, half the population (i.e. women) will also be repressed, so that means that 32.5% of the population will be coddled, and 67.5% will be repressed.

The sad thing is that Shari'a can coexist with laws that protect the rights of women, such as in Singapore. That won't happen in Iraq, however. Selling women down the drain is part of the cost of keeping the Shi'ite leaders happy with their soon-to-be unelected government. It also could be seen as a way of reducing unemployment -- women shouldn't "have to work" anyway. Let's stick them at home and put them behind the veil. It's what their god wants, after all, and they'll probably be happier that way.

When God talks, Bush listens. Apparently God wants to keep women in their place.

Expect the percentage of the population who is repressed to climb even higher in the future when the new Iraqi government gets powerful enough to assert itself and the Kurds get screwed over. (Yes, again.)
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 3 comments